Working with TMJ
with Maggie Dreisbach, LMT, CYI
1 day, 9:30am to 6:00pm, 8 credits, $200.00
for all dates visit the Listing of Courses by Subject
This continuing education course is designed to empower licensed massage therapists with comprehensive knowledge and practical skills to address Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorders and associated medical conditions. Participants will gain a deep understanding of considerations, modifications, and effective techniques to enhance their therapeutic capabilities in working with clients experiencing TMJ-related issues.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
Understand TMJ Disorders:
- Describe and discuss common conditions and symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorders.
- List the indications and contraindications of working with Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD).
Muscular Anatomy and Assessment:
- Identify all muscles of mastication and other muscles associated with temporomandibular joint issues.
- Recognize potential causes of TMD through client assessments while staying within the scope of practice.
- Recognize how postural or cervical dysfunction might contribute to TMJ disorders.
Manual Therapy Techniques:
- Perform and demonstrate proficiency in intra and extraoral techniques for TMJ disorders.
- Execute head, neck, and shoulder techniques associated with TMJ disorders.
Client Interaction and Communication:
- Review client case studies and refine skills in assessing clients with TMJ-related concerns.
- Provide post-treatment exercises and self-care tips to clients.